What is a Syrniki
Syrniki is a cheese pancake or small cakes. In this post how will explain to you how you can make delicious Syrniki at home. Syrnikis are very popular in the Western part of the world. You can find them in Russia, Ukraine, and Belarusia. Many cafes serve them with tea in the morning or as a snack in the afternoon. You can eat them with some jam or sour cream.
How to make Syrniki
To make Syrniki you just need only a few ingredients; ricotta cheese, eggs, lemon, flour, and dry raisins. The longest part of this recipe is to make the small cakes, but trust me it’s all worth the work. The first thing, add into a large mixing bowl all the ingredients. Secondly, add the ricotta cheese, the eggs, the lemon zest and the lemon juice, and 1 cup of the flour and mix very well. To mix you can use a fork or a wooden spoon. When everything is mixed, now its time to make the cakes. Take some of the cheese mixtures with an ice cream spoon, scoop some of the cheese mixture and put the cheese ball into a flat plate. Do this procedure for all of the cheese mixtures.
When you have all your cheese balls onto the plates, sprinkle the rest of the flour on top of the cheese balls. Now with your hand, roll the balls, and when the balls are smooth make them a little bit flat, by pressing them between your hands. After they are flat, put them back onto the plate. When all the small cakes are done, it’s time to cook them.
How to cook the Ricotta Syrniki
To cook the Syrniki, you just need to put a little a bit of vegetable oil into a frying pan. Cook them onto a low-medium fire until they are brown on each side. It will take about 5 to 8 minutes per side. When they are cook set them aside onto a cloth to remove the exceeding oil.
What to serve with Syrniki
You can serve the Syrniki like the Russians with some sour cream, but in my family, we eat them with plain or vanilla yogurt. You can eat them hot or cold they are So Delicious!!!
How to make Syrniki
- 2 pack 500 gram of ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (for cooking)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry raisins
- Add into a large mixing bowl the cheese and the eggs.
- Add the lemon zest and the lemon juice.
- Add the dry raisins and mix very well.
- Add the 1 cup of the flour to the bowl and mix very well. You can use a fork or a wooden spoon to mix.
- Now its time to make the cakes.
- Take some of the cheese mixtures with an ice cream spoon, scoop some of the cheese mixtures and put the cheese ball into a flat plate. Do this procedure for all of the cheese mixtures.
- When you have all your cheese balls onto the plates, sprinkle the rest of the flour on top of the cheese balls. Now with your hand, roll the balls, and when the balls are smooth make them a little bit flat, by pressing them between your hands.
- After they are flat, put them back onto the plate. When all the small cakes are done, it's time to cook them.
Hi, can I replace the egg in the recipe, the recipe looks tempting but what can I opt the eggs with?
Hello Ami, I never did try it but, I know a few substitutes for eggs, I would try it with a tablespoon of apple sauce per eggs, so recipe calls for 2 eggs, 2 tablespoon, this might stop the Syrniki from falling a part into the pan, keeping it together:) If you do try it please let me know if it worked:)
These look and sound so delicious – I haven’t tried anything like this before, so need to change this soon! I hope to make your recipe over the weekend 🙂
Thank you Alexandra, I hope you do try the recipe and share your pictures on Instagram:) Mel
These look just so moreish! They wouldn’t last a few minutes in our house! Look forward to trying out the recipe..
They are a great! Let me know if you try the recipe:)