What do you get when you mix plums, spices, and oranges? Something heartwarming, satisfying and definitely delicious, that’s for sure. How do you make this plate of goodness? It’s for you to discover with this recipe. Treat yourself and your family with an awesome plum pie!
Spicy Plum Pie
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 225 ml butter (very cold, cut into cubes)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 egg white (for egg wash)
- 1 tbsp water (for egg wash)
- 12 plums
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 orange orange zest
- 1 orange orange juice
- Wash the plums and cut them in quarters.
- Put them into a big bowl, add all the ingredients for the filling. Mix well and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, cubes of butter and pulse until the butter is the size of small peas. With the motor is running, add the cold water until the mixture begins to come off the sides of the bowl. The mix will still be somewhat loose and crumbly, that’s okay.
- Turn the mix out onto the countertop. Knead the dough until you get a big ball. It does not have to perfect at this point, because you will need to cut that ball in two.
- Take each half, shape it into a disk and use a rolling pin to flatten it. You may need a little bit of flour on your rolling pin and dough so the dough does not stick to the pin or to the counter. Roll them big enough to completely cover your dish with some extra width to pinch on the sides.
- Sprinkle some flour on your pie dish.
- Put the first piece of dough in, making sure it's all the way at the bottom of the plate. Use the back of your hand, not the tips of your fingers, otherwise you may tear the dough.
- Now put the filling onto your pie dish.
- Take the other piece of the dough and gently place it over the filling. Pinch all around along the edge to seal your pie. Make little holes on top of the dough so the extra moisture could escape. This way your pie will have a nice crust!
- Mix your egg white and water in a small bowl with a fork.
- Using a brush, brush the egg wash on the crust so it would turn a nice color while baking.
- Bake on the bottom grill of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes at 375°F.