Broccoli is a super-food just like kale, a super antioxidant! Broccoli has vitamins K and C, it is a good source of folate, and also provides potassium and fiber. I know many people don’t like it, especially kids. I remember when my daughter Nina was 8 months old, she loved broccoli! However, she stopped eating it after turning two. Well, you know what, I decided to incorporate it into her favorite cheese pasta, and ever since all our kids ask for this dish at least once a week. We even used that sauce on our homemade pizza once. Wow! Usually, we have leftovers after a pizza night, but that night there was nothing left!
This recipe is for a picky eater. Try it, you'll see, they will ask for more!
Quantity for: 6 people
This is one of the best ways to introduce broccoli into your kids' diet. Even a picky eater will ask for a second serving of this delicious and healthy dish.
- 4 cups cut broccoli
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 2 cups of grated cheese or gouda cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 454 g pasta of your choice
- Steam or lightly boil your broccoli for about 5 minutes. You don't want to boil them too much, otherwise they will turn dark green, and they won't look appetizing. When done, set them aside.
- Start preparing the pasta. Follow the instructions on the box of your pasta.
- Shred the cheese and then, while the pasta is cooking, start preparing the sauce.
Preparation of the sauce
- Put butter and flour into the same pot where you boiled your broccoli. With the pot on a medium fire, mix the butter and the flour with a whisk.
- When butter has absorbed all the flour, pour the milk in, add salt, pepper, and the nutmeg. Continue mixing with the whisk.
- When you see that milk is becoming a little warmer, add the grated cheese. Very important: to prevent the cheese from forming a ball or sticking to the bottom of the pot, whip non-stop until all the cheese has melted. When the cheese has melted, turn off the fire.
- Add the broccoli into the pot. Use a hand blender or food processor to achieve a smooth creamy texture.
- Pour the broccoli sauce over your pasta. You will see, everybody will love it! Enjoy 🙂
If you make this recipe ..... tag me @mel4skilletsandgames on Instagram and hashtag it #skilletsandpots.
It's easier to sell cotton candy than it is to sell broccoli to somebody, but the broccoli is better for you! - Marco Rubio