I like having oatmeal for breakfast, but my two girls don’t like it. I tried it in many versions: soaked all night, sweet with apple jam, raw with yogurt. No matter what I did, they did not like it! But like any good mother, I know what’s good for my kids. I know they need to eat oatmeal. Oatmeal is good for us for many reasons: it keeps cholesterol low, it’s good against heart disease, it’s a good source of magnesium, zinc, potassium, and so much more! Plus, if you eat oatmeal for breakfast, you will be sure not to get hungry until lunch. So, finally, I chose the recipe that the whole family would enjoy.
I know you might say, “But they are cookies, how can they be good for your kids!?”. Well, if you mix the right amount of fruits, whole grains, and unsweetened chocolate chips, you’ll get very tasty cookies and very healthy at the same time!
Cranberry Chocolate Cookies
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 300 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- 1 cup dry cranberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat the oven at 375°F and place your grill in the middle.
- In a large bowl, mix all your dry ingredients (flour, salt, cinnamon, rolled oats, dry cranberries, chocolate chips, brown sugar, frozen or fresh cranberries), and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs and the oil using a hand mixer.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. You will see that the mixture is somewhat dry. Don't worry - it's supposed to be like this. When the cranberries and the chocolate chips will cook, they will melt and add some goodness to the cookies.
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using an ice cream spoon or a big tablespoon, place scoops of the dough on the baking sheet. Press gently with your fingers to make the dough a little bit flatter.
- Put the baking sheet into the oven in the middle position for 35 minutes.
- When done, let them cool down and enjoy!