Apple pie is one of the most popular dessert recipes out there. Known English recipes for it go as far back as to the times of Chaucer. Although apple pie variations were brought to the colonies from Europe, this originally European dessert became a recognizable American symbol. This recipe was the first one I tried many years ago, and it’s the one I use when I don’t have much time to cook. This easy apple pie is easy as pie! 🙂
Easy Apple Pie
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 225 ml butter (very cold, cut into cubes)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 egg white (for egg wash)
- 1 tbsp water (for egg wash)
- 8 Cortland apples (or 4 Cortland apples and 4 Granny Smith)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp unbleached flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 lemon lemon zest
- 1 lemon lemon juice
- Peel all your apples and cut them in quarters.
- Put them into a big bowl, add all the ingredients for the filling. Mix well and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, cubes of butter and pulse until the butter is the size of small peas. With the motor is running, add the cold water until the mixture begins to come off the sides of the bowl. The mix will still be somewhat loose and crumbly, that’s okay.
- Turn the mix out onto the countertop. Knead the dough until you get a big ball. It does not have to perfect at this point, because you will need to cut that ball in two.
- Take each half, shape it into a disk and use a rolling pin to flatten it. You may need a little bit of flour on your rolling pin and dough so the dough does not stick to the pin or to the counter. Roll them big enough to completely cover your dish with some extra width to pinch on the sides.
- Sprinkle some flour on your pie dish.
- Put the first piece of dough in, making sure it's all the way at the bottom of the plate. Use the back of your hand, not the tips of your fingers, otherwise you may tear the dough.
- Put the filling onto your pie dish.
- Take the other piece of the dough and gently place it over the filling. Pinch all around along the edge to seal your pie. Make little holes on top of the dough so the extra moisture could escape. This way your pie will have a nice crust!
- Mix the egg white and water in a small bowl with a fork.
- Using a brush, brush the egg wash on the crust so it would turn a nice color while baking.
- Bake on the bottom grill of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes at 375°F.
Did you make that recipe ..... tag me @mel4skilletsandpots on Instagram and hashtag it #skilletsandpots.
As you’ve probably noticed, there is a little beak sticking out of the top of the pie. This is a wonderful invention called pie bird. Mine is made by Le Creuset, and it works really well with a deep pie dish by the same company. With this birdie in the middle of the pie dish, the steam can easily escape from inside of the pie, so the crust stays nice and crunchy.