What is Ramen Soup
Ramen Soup is a Japanese dish. It is a kind of soup with large and long noodles and a very strong perfume stock. You can find it with fish, beef, pork or chicken stock. And they often use soya sauce to add extra flavor to it. Anyway, my mom made Ramen Soup at home once and since then I keep asking for it!
It is probably the best soup I have ever had in my entire life! My mum makes it at home with organic vegetables and some noodles with homemade chicken bouillon. I can eat 3 bowls of that soup anytime, whether it is for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but never ever as dessert! Literally the BEST SOUP EVER IN MY LIFE!!!!
How To Make the chicken stock for the Ramen Soup At Home
First, you make the chicken stock. You need a small chicken, remove the skin from the chicken that way your chicken bouillon will be less fat, but don’t worry it will still be really tasty! When the water get to the boiling point and you see some scum or foam on top of the water just remove it with a small ladle. This is a trick to get a very clear bouillon. At this point, you can add to the water a full onion, 2 garlic cloves, salt, fresh dill, fresh cilantro, and some ground pepper. Let the bouillon at low to medium fire for about 1 hour to 2 hours. Since you have removed the skin, the longer you gently boiled the chicken stronger the stock taste will be stronger and delicious! Anyway, that’s how my mom makes it:)
Which topping can you add into your Soup
The possibilities are endless when it comes to toppings! The best way to my opinion is to have a large variety of them and sliced or chopped properly! You can put; thinly sliced leeks, carrots cut in juliennes, fresh green onions, fresh coriander, fresh dill, blanched broccoli floret, roasted mushrooms, fried onions, small cherry tomatoes cut in half, thin slices of steaks, steam fish, boiled eggs and much more! You can use pretty much anything you want!
Steps on how to make Ramen soup at home
First thing, make the chicken bouillon, calculate about two hours prior to serving. Second thing, when you see that the bouillon is almost ready it is time to prepare all your desired toppings. Chopped, sliced, blanched or fry all your vegetables and meat you want to offer with the Ramen soup. When they are ready to keep them aside. Lastly, when the bouillon is ready to cook the noddles into the bouillon. She uses Capellini or Spaghettini which are really easy and fast to cook and absorb very well the flavour the chicken bouillon! Now everything is ready, time to take out your chopsticks and your spoons… let your creativity lead you!
How to present your Homemade Ramen Soup
My mom usually gives us a big bowl of chicken bouillon with some noodles in it and she places the platers of toppings on the dinner table. That way people can decide what they want in their soups! You can find on the table soy sauce, fish sauce, green onions, fried onions, fresh dill, fresh cilantro, fresh cherry tomatoes, some fried little steaks, fried mushrooms and so much more… I hope you will take the time to make this fun soup at home, you will see your kids will love!!
(Post from my daughter Nina)
Ramen Soup at Home
- 1 chicken (skinless)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 8 cups water
Suggestions of Toppings
- 500 gr capellini or spaghettini pasta
- 2 small yellow onions (fried)
- 1 big carrot (juliennes)
- 500 gr Chinese beef meat (for fondue) (fried)
- 300 gr mushrooms (fried)
- 3 green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 leek (finely chopped)
- 8 eggs (boiled)
- 1 brocoli head (blanched)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (sliced into two)
- Calculate about two hours prior to serving to make the chicken bouillon.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and place it into a large pot.
- Cover the chicken with water. About 8 cups of water and bring it to a boil. If you see some foam or scum on top of the water remove it with a ladle. This is the best way to get a clear bouillon.
- When it gets to the boiling point, reduce the fire to medium fire. Add a large whole onion and 2 garlic cloves. No need to chop the onion and the garlic.
- Add the fresh dill, the fresh cilantro, the salt, and the pepper. Let it cook for about 1 to 2 hours depending on how strong you want the taste of the bouillon. Longer you boiled it stronger it will be. But you need to boil it at least for 1 hour.
Toppings and Noodles
- Prepare all the toppings that you have chosen and keep them aside. Serve them when the noodles are ready.
- For the toppings, you can simply fry some mushrooms, onions, chopped some vegetables, blanched some broccoli, sliced some cherry tomatoes, boiled some eggs, fried some thin steaks fo your choice and place them into different bowls or plate, this way your guests can choose the one they want.
- When the chicken bouillon is ready and that all your toppings are done, you can add the pasta to cook them. If you choose capellini or any thin pasta this step will not take long.
- When pasta are done, give a bowl of pasta with a lot of bouillon to each member of your family or your guests and let them choose their toppings:) Bon appétit!