What is a lamb shank?
A meat shank is the portion of meat around the tibia of the animal, the leg bone beneath the knee. Lamb shanks are often braised whole. This meat can be found throughout the year, but usually around the holidays, they are much cheaper.
How to cook Lamb Shanks in the oven?
This recipe was made and thought for my husband and his father. They are big fans of lamb. Therefore, for this holiday, I prepared this hearty and slow cooking dish just for them. They ate it with a lot of appetites! This recipe will explain to you how to cook lamb shanks in the oven. The key to this lamb shank recipe is slow cooking at a low temperature. Therefore, you should prepare yourself, accordingly. In order to get the best result, it needs to be in the oven by 12:30 the latest, if you eat at 5:00 pm. To make it easy, you should calculate between 4 to 5 hours of cooking time.
What to serve with the lamb shanks?
I serve this lamb with egg noodles and Gremolata! The tangy taste of the Gremolata added something amazingly fresh to this hearty recipe. I hope you will enjoy it too:)
Rosemary Lamb Shanks
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato passata
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 bay leave
- 3 branches of fresh rosemary
- 2 cups water
- 1 leek
- 2 carrots
- 354 g mushrooms
- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lamb shanks (1 1/2 kg)
- Start the oven at 325 degrees.
- Wash and cut all the vegetables and set aside.
- Pour 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil and 1 tbsp. of butter in a dutch oven. Add the lamb shank into the dutch oven, and sprinkle the flour on them.
- Add all the spices on the lamb shanks.
- Roast the lamb shanks on all sides, into the dutch oven. Just enough to give them a nice coloration. Set aside on a plate, when they are nicely roasted.
- Add the rest of the butter, in the same dutch oven and, roast all the vegetables. Again, just enough to give them a nice color.
- Add the lamb shanks back into the dutch oven, over the vegetables.
- Add the red wine, the tomato passata, and the water. Put the lid on and put into the oven for 4 - 5 hours at 325.