The Best Russian Borscht
How to make the best Russian Borscht is so easy to do, there are no excuses for not giving it a try! In this post, I will answer a few questions, that a lot of people are asking. How to make the best Russian Borscht, why borscht is good for you and how you can freeze it too! I hope you will find these tips useful.
How to make the Best Russian Borscht?
The first thing, is to chop the onion and the garlic. Secondly, add the vegetable oil into a big pot on a medium fire, and fry the onion and the garlic. Just a little bit for them to release their flavor. While the onions and garlic are cooking, shred the pickle, the carrots, and the beets. Now it’s time to add them to the onions and garlic. While these are slowly cooking, chopped finely the cabbage and diced the tomatoes. Finally add the cabbage, the tomatoes, and the spices to the rest of the vegetables and pour water over it. Cook on a medium to low fire for about 45 minutes. It’s ready! Very good with a spoon of plain yogurt or sour cream.
Why Borscht good for you?
Borscht is good for you because it contains full of superfoods! For example; cabbage same quality as the kale, and a powerhouse of vitamin C! Another example; the beets are also a superfood because of their good nitrate content, and like the blueberries, they are a great source of antioxidant, good to prevent heart disease. If you want to read more about the beets, check out this great article.
Can Borscht be frozen?
Yes, you can easily store the extra Borscht into the freezer. Here are my suggestions if you do want to make this borscht and freeze some of it. The first thing waits that the soup as completely cooled down. Secondly, pour the soup into plastic containers and store them immediately into the freezer. You can keep it up to 3 months no problem.
The Best Russian Borscht
- 1 big pickled cucumbers or pickles
- 1 carrot
- 3 beets
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 small cabbage
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh or dry dill
- 5 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Chop the onion and the garlic.
- Add the vegetable oil into a big pot on a medium fire, and fry the onion and the garlic. Just a little bit for them to release their flavor.
- Shred with a cheese grater the pickle, the carrots, and the beets.
- Add the pickle, the carrots, and the beets to the onions and garlic, let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Chopped the cabbage and diced the tomatoes.
- Add the cabbage, the tomatoes, and the spice to the rest of the vegetables and pour water over it.
- Cook on a medium to low fire for about 45 minutes. It's ready! Very good with a spoon of plain yogurt or sour cream.